INCONET-GCC2 is a three year (2014-2017) project sponsored by European Commission – Directorate General for Research and Innovation – with a view to establish a “Science, Technology and Innovation International Cooperation Network between European Union and the Arab Gulf Countries aiming at the bi-regional coordination towards HORIZON2020”.
INCONET-GCC2’s overall goals are to:
- support the institutional bi-regional policy dialogue in Science, Technology and Innovation,
- strengthen the bi-regional cooperation between research and innovation actors, especially in the context of the upcoming Horizon 2020 programme and
- monitor progress in the bi-regional STI cooperation.
INCONET-GCC2 builds on the results of previous cooperation activities with the Arab Gulf Countries (INCONET-GCC 1st phase, www.icnonet-gcc.eu) while it focuses on selected societal challenges of mutual interest as identified during the previous collaboration. INCONET-GCC2 explores how to achieve win-win across national, multidisciplinary and cross-sector approaches in response to these issues while also realising and underpinning new path breaking kinds of capacity-building and organising clustering activities around the selected research priorities. Specifically:
- Implement a series of analyses feeding the policy dialogue and increasing its efficiency, monitoring INCONET-GCC2’s own activities, with particular emphasis on their sustainability, and implementing coherent dissemination activities in order to increase its visibility and impact;
- Built of best practices towards the future in order to promote joint research though clustering activities within the selected societal challenges and organise thematic workshops in Health, Energy, Innovation and Security and ICT, Food towards EU-GCC Joint Call for proposals;
- Enhance capacity building through the facilitation of researcher mobility, summer schools, the support of the NCPs and their expansion in order to cover the selected societal challenges and the organisation of information days and brokerage events in all Arab Gulf countries;
- Roadmap future research activities and provide recommendations to the EC and the national regulatory and funding authorities;
- Raise awareness and disseminate information.
INCONET-GCC2 project is implemented by 20 international institutional partners – most of them from EU and GCC regions. It aims to accomplish its broader objectives through practical steps that aim to:
- Reinforce strategic S&T cooperation and innovation with the Arab Gulf region
- Facilitate access to knowledge, resources and markets in the GCC region
- Have a positive influence on the joint EU-GCC STI agenda
- Make it easier for Europe’s researchers and universities to work with the best scientists and research infrastructures in the world
- Create a roadmap for future research activities & collaborations
- Contribute effectively to stability, security and prosperity in the world
- Contribute to global sustainable development and foster Europe’s S&T excellence
- Contribute to the free circulation of knowledge at the global level
- Raise Europe’s S&T profile in the GCC region